Tuesday, March 9, 2010

~Job Status~


So, I can't help but keep thinking about this. I'll just come out and say it.

I am probably going to get RIF'd AGAIN this year. With the budget crisis and the ridiculous cuts that are facing our schools they are going to have to cut some first and second year teachers.

I thought I was safe this year. I thought wrong.

The state legislator passed a law that did away with tenure. As a teacher who is young I was okay with this. It actually helps young teacher to not get cut just because they are young. Because of this new law I thought I was safe and wouldn't have to go through the RIF process again this year. I thought wrong.

My school district, along with many others I am sure, have decided not to do away with the tenure this year because it wasn't put into place at the beginning of the contract year. Basically, they don't want to rock the boat for fear of being sued.

So, it looks like I will be once again fall victim to our state's ridiculousness. What are we 50th now? But I digress.

Full day Kindergarten is a thing of the past. There will only be 1/2 day with a possible option to pay for full day. This is BAD new for me because that means there will be too many Kindergarten teachers. First and second year teachers with the district (me) will get RIF'd and they will have to put those Kindergarten teachers into other positions. At our school we have 4 full day and 1 half day Kinder teachers. Next year if we only do 1/2 day we will only need 2. This is ESPECIALLY bad news for me because it isn't a big jump to put a Kindergarten teacher in a first grade position if need be.

Needless to say I am feeling a little shell shocked and very bummed. I love my school. Most of the time I love first grade. I don't want to move schools which would be a possibility if they RIF'd me and then re-hired me. I don't want to move grade levels. If you have never taught you can't imagine the stress and time it takes to move a classroom, let alone to another grade level. :(

I am trying to stay positive. This happened last year and it all turned out for the best. I guess I can only pray and have faith that God has a plan for my life and I just don't know it yet.

3 comments:

73551CA said...

Hey it's me Jess! I saw the link to this from your facebook. I am so sorry. I know you are a wonderful teacher and it SUCKS that you may have to go through this uncertainty again.
As for changing grade levels, it is stressful! In the three years I've been teaching, I've had three different assignments and four different classrooms. It's exhausting. I'm so hoping to be asked back for fourth grade again next year because I don't want to have to learn a new grade level curriculum.

Hang in there, and know that if all else fails there's a good chance we may have a spot at Solano! Yeah! Come back! :)

Krystle said...

Hey Nicole,
I feel your pain and I am so sorry you have to go through that again. I have also had three different job assignments and 2 classrooms. I pray that everything works out for you and they realize that you are an excellent teacher and will keep you in your spot! Take care!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ladies! It is so great to have teacher friends who know what I am talking about and can feel my pain. :)
Jess, Solano would be a little far since I live in Queen Creek. :)